Sunday, November 4, 2012

Harriet the Spy

In a breath of fresh, fishy air, we move away from historical works of fiction to a more centered, plot derived work with Harriet the Spy. This cunning display of children's honesty, shows how a simple journal, and better yet children can be mean. They define the saying "The truth hurts". When reading this red flags hit when I realized that the protagonist in the story is actually someone I wouldn't want my children to be necessarily. Whereas the other female protagonists have had a curiosity  Harriet has a strange one. It's unusual for a child to want to be a spy, yet I can only imagine what this novel would have done to children years ago. When I was younger and read "Holes" I told my friends to call me zero and was biting into (unsweetened) onions for show.

I think Children have the ability to follow what they read more so than any reading group. Whereas an adult might read a book like "Blink" and try to meta-cognitively adjust their life, children are more likely to copy and mimic actions that amuse them. I wouldn't be surprised to see my child carrying a notebook analyzing my ugly face wondering why my mother would or would not hate me. Harriet is a great role model to children, not of what to do necessarily, but what to expect if you are honest, yet hurtful to your friends, family and neighbors. Parents could use this book maybe and turn her role model into an example model of what not to do. But on the flip side, kids will be kids and the best lessons are learned through experience. Harriet learned many lessons when she loses the journal. She learns to keep her valuables. She learns not to put all her eggs of information and "spy secrets" in one spot. She learns what can happen if you lose a friend, and how friends quickly become enemies.

I did like this book, but I wasn't into the spy or investigator scene. I remember my principal reading Nate The Great to us when I was in 3rd grade thinking this is lame as heck. But I wasn't an ordinary 3rd grader. I was like Harriet now that I think about it, always aware of my surroundings trying to dissect everything. Maybe I'm much more analytical now of the work because I am trying to view it from a different perspective? Not too sure, I might have like or even loved this book when I was younger but I'll never know. Regardless, interesting read and a good change of pace for the upcoming works I think!

6 comments:

  1. I like how you point out Harriet as a great example to what not to do sometimes. I completely agree, and the wisest can learn from the mistakes of others.
    However, I do find Harriet's sly persona to be rather charming. Her curious spying only reinforces her innocence and immaturity as there are many things she sees which she cannot understand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree as well with how you point out that it was nice read and an interesting change of pace to see a character who more or less thought for herself and allowed herself to make her own mistakes and learn from them. She was raised in a way where it seems she didn't have her parents to confide in, talk to, rely on, etc. so maybe it was just in her nature to spy on others, do as she felt, and not fear any type of punishment. Her nanny was the only adult she seemed to have some respect for and allow to share her secrets with because she was the one who parented her. I saw Harriet's demeanor charming in a way as well...and her innocence endearing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Harriet does learn some early life lessons in this book. She had to deal with the consequences of her actions and do her best to correct her behavior. It is kinda funny that being caught didn't necessarily change the way that she wrote about people. She still seemed rather mean. I agree that the best taught lessons are learned through experience. The somewhat ambiguous ending left me wondering how much of a lesson Harriet really learned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we often overlook the lesson being learned by the cast of characters that in turn are treating Harriet like an abomination. Maybe the lesson in this book isn't about what Harriet should or should not do, but that everyone has opinions of everyone else and nobody is perfect. Sometimes the truth hurts and it takes a strong person (and perhaps a little quirky) to point out people's flaws and shortcomings. Though she did it covertly, trying to make sense of the human race is quite a daunting task and I applaud anyone (real or fiction) that would go to such lengths to make sense of it instead of just merely accepting everything at face value. But, as you say, I am probably much more analytic than I was when I was a kid, and these lessons probably go unlearned. As adults, though, it is our place to point these things out to a child reading books and characters such as Harriet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Although the book was a good read and a more traditional children's book than previous novels, I just wished that she would have learned something more from the other kids reading her notebook. I felt the only thing she learned was how to lie better and cover her butt more. I wouldn't want my children to adapt her personality either. She came off as a brat and that bothers me even more because, she never learned a moral in this story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you Moe. A good read and a change of pace and I also do not think I would want my child to be like Harriet in a sense. She is a spoiled brat who has no idea how to be coy about anything. To her its the truth or nothing but somethimes the truth hurts as she soon realizes after her journal is found. I'm not even sure if there was a lesson to be learned from reading this book. I did like her because she was honest and it is hard to get a child to be 100% truthful, but her being so hard headed and self centered she thought her way was the best way. I dont even think she learned her lesson, she only leaned how to hide her brutally honest truths elsewhere than all in one place and her behavior is rewarded by her getting to write for the school paper. Wish all my punishments were rewarded in this way as a child.

    ReplyDelete