Monday, November 19, 2012

Christianity, Redux

Redux? I didn't want to visit it for a first time. If there's one thing you never discuss with a man it's religion and politics, because you will never swing him and he/she can never swing you away from your beliefs. I fail to understand why people can not fathom the simple reason why we are the way we are. If I show you a shirt and say is this shirt nice, you are likely to respond based on your beliefs. I can tell you this is the top of the line cotton with the newest fashion cuts, but if you don't like it, you just don't like it. Why people force their religion or beliefs on others is bewildering. It's not a belief anymore if you make someone 'believe' it. That's just me. Let's get into the reading:

I was content with reading The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. I was never into fantasies as a child, and looking ahead I can see we will be talking about Dystopias. I'm not talking about The Golden Compass, just my normal ordinary life when religion comes up in class on Monday (*Zing). As far as The Lion goes, I think it's great, imaginative and a must read for children. Alternate universes engulf the imagination of young ones and can help build reading skills. The adjectives used in the book help describe what is not there and allows for readers to build vocabulary and reading skills. For example Lewis could have said "Her face was white" and stopped. Children would have maybe imagined their grandmothers or maybe a teacher with too much makeup.. anyone could have fit the mold of this white face, but by describing it as, "Not merely pale, but white like snow or paper or icing-sugar" Lewis allows for a child to then explore their imagination and press their minds to discover what this face looks like. The child could then jump to a polar bear or something else with a white, snow covered face. The word merely adds flavor to the sentencing, and with the context clues the child learns a new word which is how you build vocabulary as a young reader. He uses describing words (or adjectives as adults should say) which connect the child to the story. Children know what snow and paper look like, but surely can connect with icing sugar. Lewis didn't choose to say white like a 65' Thunderbird or white like Freddie Mercury's pants in 1985 at Wembley Stadium (mainly because the book was written in 1950) but you see how he picks his spots. I would love to analyze his writing more than make the comparison or argument as I am sure we will have in class over whether Aslan was Jesus or the Witch was Satan. But I understand we have units to cover so I will gladly try and add any input I have to the conversation :)

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you about The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe being a must read for children. Of course, if you would have asked me this when I was a kid, I would have disagreed. I tried reading it as a kid when it came up in an early English class, but I just could not get into it. I was a religious skeptic from an extremely early age and knew of this books message. I got my sister to do the book report. I've read this book a few times in adulthood and I feel it is an enjoyable story, but I still harbor that skepticism. I've even tried to get through the other books in the series to no avail. One of these days, perhaps. He does have a way with language, I will admit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Religion and other beliefs should NOT be forced on other people, I agree. Individual ideologies are sacred to that person (or group of people) and to impose yourself on others with a disrespect to other people's views is wrong and ignorant. In regards to children's literature that has this on the agenda, I do not think the author has a responsibility to its readers and cater to diversity. The readership chooses whether or not to pursue a particular book or not. "The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe" does deal with Christian themes and C.S. Lewis does not work to hide the fact. If this book is chosen by an instructor to read to a class of 3rd graders, for instance, he/she must be aware of the implications and respect the religious beliefs of the students and the views of their parents.

    ReplyDelete