Monday, October 22, 2012

Understanding the Ojibwa

Although fictional, you have to believe that this book stills gives a good overview about the Ojibwa. One thing I had trouble with is the lack of affection adults have towards different cultures or the history of cultures. Anytime I think about Native Americans  I always remember my childhood, whether it be books, movies or storytellers alike. Why do we stop caring about Native Americans as we get older? They too care about family. They too have stories to share that discipline the youth and give us scruples to follow. Regardless, in almost a paradox, here I am as an adult learning or relearning about Native Americans, although I can't say I remember Ojibwa Indians as a child. Its good to see Erdrich spread her culture and explain to the world her customs and traditions, I think. It was cool to get the two views right back to back, between ordinary white folks, and ordinary Native Americans. The Indian life reminds me of the country life, where you work hard, play well, and enjoy the simple things in the world. Can you imagine The Ingalls or Omakayas family working in downtown Detroit at Quicken Loans  No, they are above that lifestyle. Can you imagine how weird it would be to explain small pox or malaria and the reasons for it's spread or how to cure yourself from getting it? I'm sure they would prefer hearty soup, a blanket and a fire place to sweat it out rather than some Tylenol and antibiotics for everyday sicknesses.(Well everyday to us. They were deadly to them.) But about the book, I believe the writing style can be appreciated for its enticing narrative. There's something about "the struggle" that is so contagious when reading, that the reader wants all to go well, but subconsciously enjoys overcoming hardships, whether its disease, or food shortage or property problems. By having these stories filled with morals the reader is forced to read with a purpose, and aggressively engages in the book.

4 comments:

  1. I think you are dead on, the writing style is enticing, as is the struggle that requires us the reader to be fully vested in the tribes survival. I appreciated reading the two selections back to back because they reinforce the belief that we are all very much the same. We face many of the same challenges while trying to survive. Sometimes we even face serious illness and disease. The value I believe in reading these stories is we gain a greater awareness of our own self. We are forced to examine, if you will, our own belief systems against the customs and traditions of times long past. The Ojibwa Indians seemed, despite hardships, to be at peace. How many of us alive today can say the same?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make a good point. I honestly have not thought about Native American's after elementary school. They just seemed to blend right into society for me. The writing style is enticing and I think that is so the message the story has to bring can shine through. It allows the reader to understand the main points and not get lost in translation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking along similar lines when reading this story. While American may be melting pot, through the process of assimilation into the dominate Western standards, a lack of cultural awareness growing problem. Books such as this present wonderful knowledge concerning another culture, addressed specificity to the younger generations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also enjoyed observing the similarities in Birchbark House and Little House. What I loved about Birchbark was the fact that we got to see the depiction of the Native Americans from a different point of view. Unfortunately, I didn't learn much about Native Americans growing up as a child. I guess you could say I learned the "basic" things in school, but it wasn't until my Native American Literature class that I truly started to learn about Native Americans and their history. Literature provides such a cool and alternative way of learning history and culture, it allows you to put yourself in the shoes of someone else and to see life through the eyes of another.

    ReplyDelete